PTA Meeting Minutes – November 8, 2018 (DRAFT)

Parkwood PTA meeting – November 8, 2018

Attendees:  Christina Torres, Julie Dragin, Kari Thomas, Ann Torres, Bridgette Shima, Cody Koenig, Inger Murdock, Marie Ammerman, David Drummond, Michelle Morgan, Jennifer Eklund, Stephanie Gwaltney, Amanda Galuska, Lydia Kim, Amber Tolbert, Meredith Bane

7:03 – meeting start time

Budget – Marie

Income: $9307.65

  • Refund from Shoreline School District of unspent donation dollars from 2017-2018 school year: $1637.05
  • Membership: pass through to WSPTA: $190, profit: $80
  • Fall fundraiser: $7530
  • Merchant rebates: $60.33 (Amazon)
  • Interest: $0.27

 

Expenses: $2597.94

  • Teacher grants: $500.79
  • Educational enrichment: $1020
  • Back to School BBQ: $571.53
  • Watch Dog pizza: $79.08
  • Staff lunch: $100
  • Paper for the school: $177.50
  • Bank fees: $149.04

 

Year to date income: $13,193.48

Year to date expenses: $3630.63

Motion to approve October budget – Kari

2nd – Michelle

All approve

Grant request –

Lydia has requested $100 to buy snacks for her classroom

Motion to approve grant – Stephanie

2nd – Michelle

Two abstentions

All others approve 

State of the School – Ann

Parkwood has three new staff members –

Stephanie Gwaltney – Resource room teacher

Christina Torres – Part-time Resource room teacher

Jennifer Eklund – Dean of Students

Ann led an Equity vs. Equality workshop and presentation that focused on understanding the differences between Equity and Equality, and Intent and Impact.

Math Olympiad – Michelle

Parkwood PTA decided not to participate in the Math Olympiad last year because we feel the current program is inequitable and unfair and does not match our vision and values.

The new Math Olympiad Coordinator reached out to us to talk about this year’s event. Michelle, Christina, and Ann met with the coordinator and some of the committee members but the committee is unwilling to make any changes to the event at this time.

Motion to vote on abstaining from the Math Olympiad event this year – Michelle

2nd – Amber

One abstention, all other approve

Parkwood may decide to start a math club but we will think about it and discuss this further. Kari, Michelle, and Christina volunteered to be on a Math Olympiad Committee.

Fall Fundraiser – Kari

Kari is sending out thank you notes on Monday

Harvest Dance – Amber

  • 11/16 – 6:30-8:30 pm. Items needed: toilet paper and paper towel tubes, string lights
  • Volunteers needed: High school volunteers (Ann will email Shorewood H.S. Honor society for volunteers), Watchdogs, popcorn person, craft table volunteers, wizard badges (Cody’s idea and she volunteered to make them)
  • Decided that PTA will cover costs as a thank you to community – $700 budget. Every child will receive a piece of pizza and popcorn and can participate in all the crafts/games one time at no cost. Extra food and bake sale items must be purchased.

Natural Leaders – Bridgette

  • After school program was nice. Enough jars for everyone
  • Heritage Night – call out to people to help out and participate
  • Upcoming events: Dia Del Nino, Carnival Night

Food Drive – Christina

Boxes needed (apple or paper) for December food drive

Round Table

Bridgette – Sandy Hook remembrance, hosted by Moms Demand Action, is next month. Can we host it at Parkwood? PTA secretary will email the PTA members in attendance at this meeting to vote on it

Marie – Parkwood Neighborhood Association monthly meeting is on 11/14 from 7-9 pm at Aegis Living. The Shoreline mayor and city manager will be speaking at the meeting

Christina – Book Fair is coming at end of November in the library

Adjourned – 9:44 pm

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on PTA Meeting Minutes – November 8, 2018 (DRAFT)

PTA Meeting Minutes – August 23, 2018 (DRAFT)

PTA Meeting

August 23, 2018 at 7:00pm

Notes taken by: Stephanie Gwaltney

In attendance: Bridgette Shima, Brenda Brock, Kari Thomas, Ann Torres, Christina Torres, David D., Marie Ammerman, Julie Dragin, Stephanie Gwaltney, Kathy Carter, Heather W., Meredith B., Mara C.

President calls meeting to order at 7:00pm.

Welcome and introductions around the table.

Budget- Treasurer will present budget in September.

Financial Review- completed this summer. Will be reviewed next month along with budget.

BBQ Update

  • Location- out on the playfield. BBQ on one side, info tables on the other. Kendra has organizations lined up to attend.
  • Watchdogs/Che are grilling. Expecting 700 people.
  • Need volunteers- to copy IDs for background check forms. Kari will include request for volunteers in email. Canopies and Coolers- Brenda and Kari will lend canopies. Borrow 2 printer/scanners- Kari has one we can use
  • Buses are running to and from BBQ- along normal bus routes, trial run for kids. Director of transportation will be at BBQ to answer questions.

Volunteers needed at the beginning of the school year:

  • Help at Parkwood before school year starts- lists from teachers. Friday afternoon (tomorrow 8/24) – volunteers needed to help after 11am (until around 4pm). No kids allowed, adults only.
  • Back to School Packets- Monday morning starting at 8am. Volunteers needed to assemble packets under directions
  • Tea & Tissues- Tuesday Sept 4 at 8:45am and 12:20pm. Christina can coordinate the afternoon, Bridgette and Brenda in the morning.
  • Curriculum Night (Sept 6)- Classroom Communities have met, working on speaking points for curriculum night. Each classroom needs 1 parent to speak.
  • Need more classroom parents for this year
  • Watchdogs- calling all men! Pizza Night coming up soon.

Membership- copies are made, envelopes are ordered. Scholarships are available.

Fall Fundraiser- Starts on Sept 6. Raising $18,000 is the goal. Kari will send updates out in Sunday evenings emails.

Children’s Center is offering just Wednesday early release care on site at schools. Parkwood will be at the Children’s Center for the first month until construction is finished. See district website for information.

Before and After Care- for the first month, Parkwood will be hosted at the Shoreline Center (kids will be bused from Shoreline Center to/from Parkwood) until the modular units can be relocated to the side of North City building.

Round Table: Meredith will head Reflections. David’s wife and Brenda will take over open auction positions. New Assistant Principal- Jennifer Eklund has started at Parkwood! PTA Board Members need to attend trainings- Secretaries will track fulfillment of training requirements. PTA Website will be updated soon. Saturday- Back to School Consortium at Ridgecrest for students who need school supplies.

8:04pm full meeting adjourned.

G-Suites & Email Accounts Trainings- Executive Board stayed until 8:58pm to receive training on G-Suites use and new communication protocols.

 

 

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on PTA Meeting Minutes – August 23, 2018 (DRAFT)

Parkwood Back to School BBQ and Resource Fair

Join us on Monday, August 27, 2018 at 4:00 p.m. as we welcome new and current students to our temporary campus at North City Elementary School.

Students will be able to find out who their teachers will be for the year, meet them, visit their classrooms, and drop off school supplies.  A Potluck BBQ will immediately follow at 5 pm.  Don’t miss this opportunity to enjoy the first Parkwood event of the year!!

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Parkwood Back to School BBQ and Resource Fair

PTA Meeting Minutes – August 9, 2018 (DRAFT)

Parkwood PTA meeting – August 9, 2018

Attendees:  Christina Torres, Julie Dragin, Kari Thomas, Betty Mai, Kim Smith, Heather Cimuchowski

7:11 – meeting start time

Budget – Christina

  • Tabled until next meeting

Financial Review

  • Meeting next Tuesday

Back to School BBQ – 8/27

  • Christina is organizing
  • Watchdogs will help with food
  • Kendra is organizing the community resource fair
  • Volunteers needed for the PTA table

Fall Fundraiser – Kari

  • New goal is $18,000
  • Ordering 500 letters and will need help stuffing envelopes
  • Classroom parents will talk to parents on curriculum night
  • Kari will do some direct requests
  • Volunteers needed to help

Classroom Communities – Betty

  • Heather will make a request on FB page for classroom parent volunteers
  • Betty will figure out curriculum night speakers for each class

Back to School Packets

  • Need volunteers to stuff packets

Membership

  • Membership envelopes will be in back to school packets

Round Table

Christina – She will talk to Ann and Michelle about a possible Wed enrichment program now that the Y is not doing an on-site program. There will be a training at the next meeting on the G suite app. Everyone will get their own email address.

Adjourned – 8:10 pm

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on PTA Meeting Minutes – August 9, 2018 (DRAFT)

PTA Meeting Minutes – May 10, 2018 (DRAFT)

Parkwood PTA meeting – May 10, 2018

Attendees:  Christina Torres, Kathryn Carter, Debbie Olhoeft, Julie Dragin, Ann Torres, Mea Fischelis, Mary Anne Thomas, Michelle Morgan, David Drummond, Kari Thomas

7:08 – meeting start time

Budget – Christina

  • As of now, expenses good, spent slightly less than we made last year
  • Expenses for 2018-2019 year will stay the same for now. Once money comes in from auction, we’ll look at this again
  • Grant was paid to Kathy for play
  • Emergency kit money was spent
  • Board confirmed that $1000 was set aside from the 2015-2016 year for the yearbook. The $1000 was a donation made by a parent specifically for the yearbook. This amount was missed on the budget sheet and Christina will add the amount to the budget sheet. It was agreed that the yearbook should have a scholarship line item of $500. The $500 will not need to be added to the budget until the $1000 encumbered funds is equal or below $500.

Kari – Motion to approve

Michelle – 2nd

All approve

Debbie – April minutes stand as approved

Nominating Committee

  • President – Christina
  • VP’s – Kari and Michelle

 

    • Treasurer – still open
  • Secretary – Stephanie and Julie
  • Communications Coordinator – Kari
  • Membership – still open
  • Enrichment – Michelle still willing to stay in this position
  • Auction – still open 

After School Enrichment at North City – Michelle

  • YMCA will have after school programs at each school in Shoreline every day of the week. These will be more expensive then the enrichment classes currently offered.
  • Decided we may not have enrichment classes in fall and we’ll see how many students enroll in the Y classes

 Science Night – feedback

  • Mea loved STEM classes, fun way to engage kids
  • Cafeteria was a little cramped with projects
  • Ann received lots of positive feedback
  • Whole families more engaged, not just for kids

Original Works

  • Money has not been paid to vendor yet

Teacher Appreciation Week

  • Is this week and going well 

SBAC Testing – Ann

  • Going really well so far and halfway through testing period
  • Enough snacks this year so far

Auction/Talent Show – Kari

  • We have 80 items and need about 140 total
  • More items needed for baskets
  • Volunteers needed to sell raffle tix
  • Posters needed around the school to advertise auction
  • Bidding sheets need to be set up the Friday before Memorial Day weekend
  • Talent show – 12 acts signed up so far
  • Discussion about creating a video and showing it during the talent show break. The video/slideshow would highlight all the ways the PTA helps the school and what the auction money is used for

End of Year Parkwood Party 

  • Planning going well
  • A lot of publicity will happen one month before the event
  • Next meeting on Monday
  • A motion by Mea that $500 be taken out of the budget reserves for Parkwood Party expenses. Kari – 2nd.  All approve

Parkwood Market

  • Only 7 stalls sold so far and we need more stalls purchased
  • 6th graders will talk to 5th graders this week about getting involved and helping with the market
  • Three hour custodial fee to provide bathroom access is $158
  • Some flyers have been posted but we need more posted before event

State of School – Ann

  • Transportation – school bus transportation is for all students who live more than 1 mile from school, which will be all students next year at North City. Bus numbers and routes will be available online in August. Patrols cannot ride the bus. Patrol information will be going out soon.

Round Table:

Christina – who will take the Parkwood PTA stuff home over the summer? There are two cabinets full of things. After the auction we should disperse it and take it away

 

Mary Ann – wanted to clarify that it is not mandatory for each classroom to create an art project for the auction

 

Michelle – wants to use $150 of yearbook money for 6th grade scholarships

 

 

Adjourned – 9:03 pm

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on PTA Meeting Minutes – May 10, 2018 (DRAFT)

April meeting minutes

Parkwood PTA meeting – April 12, 2018
Attendees: Betty Mai, Christina Torres, Kathryn Carter, Debbie Olhoeft, Julie Dragin, Ann
Torres, Mea Fischelis, Mary Anne Thomas, Bridgette Shima, Marie Ammerman, Michelle
Morgan, Heather Cimuchowski
7:04 – meeting start time
Christina – Budget
 Original works money is coming in
 Internet safety speaker paid
 Scholarships for enrichment classes – Debbie and Michelle will figure out how much is
left to support scholarships for spring classes
 We will accept teacher grant requests until 4/27
 Budget committee will meet to plan budget for next year – Christina, Mea, Debbie, and
Kari
Kathy – Motion to approve
Mea – 2 nd
All approve
Debbie – March minutes stand as approved
Nominating Committee
 Brenda Brock will be the Membership Coordinator next school year. We have some
interest in the treasurer position. We still need someone to be the auction co-
coordinator with Kari next year
Kathy – School Play
 Play went really well
 David Drummond, Mr. Yost, and the parent volunteer were very helpful. Maybe add a
stage manager volunteer next year
 40 students participated. May limit the play to 4 th -6 th graders next year to have more
manageable class size
Ann – Science Night
 This year will be a family engagement STEM night which will include the 5 th grade
science fair, science stations in classrooms, and the book fair
 Ms. Pembrooke will need $200 of the $600 budget for the 5 th grade project

Michelle – Enrichment
 Spots are filling up for spring classes. Minecraft instructors will bring computers
 Yearbook forms are due. Remind teachers to get forms in. Only five 6 th graders have
submitted forms
 Safety bins were completed yesterday. All (almost) expired stuff is going to Union
Gospel Mission
PTA Recognition Dinner
 The dinner is on 4/26. We are having a volunteer recognition assembly the same day at
Parkwood
Dia Del Nino celebration
 May not happen this year
Staff Appreciation Week
 5/7-5/11
 Mea will create the flyer and ask Rebecca if she will organize it this year
Auction
 We have 32 items plus 10-15 more on the way. More donations are needed
 Volunteers are needed to help out the week of the auction
 Kari will do it again next year or can be Communications Coordinator if someone else
wants to coordinate the auction
 What will auction look like at North City? Do we want to consider a Fun Run instead?
Stephanie – Baskets
 Auction basket flyer went out to students. Volunteers are needed to sell basket raffle
tickets the week of the auction
 Basket flyer info will also be sent to classroom communities to send to parents
Kathy – Talent Show
 Flyer will go out after spring break
 $600 budget

Ann – End of Year Parkwood Party

 More people are needed to help with this project
 Potluck
 Music – Einstein Jazz band and Steel Drum band
 Ann will be the emcee
 Staff planners are Debbie Black, Amanda Findley, and Ann
 Do we want people to talk about the early days at Parkwood? Rhetta?
 Next meeting is on 4/30
 Debbie volunteered to be the coordinator
Betty – Parkwood Market
 6/16, 10 am–2 pm
 Planning is done and flyers will be posted. 5 th graders have received the information and
email announcement. PTA website is updated
 The custodial fee is $400 to have a custodian at the school to let people in to use the
bathrooms
 6 th graders will give a sales pitch to 5 th graders
Parkwood Mascot Costume
 Mr. Cole wants to create a Panther mascot costume for games, assemblies, etc. He’s
created a project on donorschoose.org to raise money. $1,168 is needed to support this
project
 PTA can ask for support. This could be a Fund a Need auction item
Ann – State of School
 The owner of Spin Alley went to Parkwood and he gave us postcards for free bowling.
5/21 Parkwood bowling party? If someone is willing to organize, we could have a
bowling party there
 Building update – looking at furniture to decide what we want. Portables will be moved
to North City. Next year’s calendar will not be done for awhile. Office will open 8/13.
North City building will be remodeled for about 6 weeks prior to school starting, mostly
minor
 Math Olympiad – Ann talked to staff about Parkwood PTA’s position on Math Olympiad
– that the event does not match our vision for inclusion and respect for human
differences. She brought it up at the principals meeting. A subgroup was created to look
at this as a district.

Round Table:

Christina – Kindergarten play dates will be at Twin Ponds this summer. PTA training has to be completed by end of April. 5/21 is the Spring PTA training and dessert.
Mea – Finance committee will meet between 7/1 and beginning of the school year to review the budget
Marie – Parkwood Neighborhood Association news: The Annual Spring clean-up is scheduled for 4/28. Meet at Parkwood at 10am in the parking lot if you want to help out. The summer picnic/potluck is on 7/21 at Twin Ponds from 4-7 pm.
Betty – PTA open positions info will be sent out to classroom communities. Also emailing 3 rd -6 th grade parents about SBAC snacks

Adjourned – 9:01 pm

Posted in Meetings | Comments Off on April meeting minutes

March PTA minutes 2018

Parkwood PTA meeting – March 8, 2018
Attendees: Betty Mai, Kari Thomas, Christina Torres, Kathryn Carter, Debbie Olhoeft, Julie
Dragin, Ann Torres, Stephanie Gwaltney, Mea Fischelis, Mary Anne Thomas
7:07 – meeting start time
Budget
 Income low in February because deposits have not been made yet
 Only a few teachers have not requested field trip grants
 Budget is $4000 off – $1000/garage sale and $3000/auction
 There is $600 in the budget for Science Fair, which this year will include STEM night,
family engagement, and science fair all in one night
Kari – Motion to approve
Mea – 2 nd
All approve
Debbie – February minutes stand as approved
Kathy – School Play
 Many hours of rehearsal, including this week of half days
 Behavior is good
 Discussion about whether to partnership with a grad program next time to help with
special needs students who want to participate in play
Kari – Auction
 Going well and auction items are slowly coming in
 Next thing is basket prep
Golden Acorn Awards Committee
 PTA recognition dinner
 We have a budget for five to attend
 If you have anyone to nominate, email Ann or Debbie
Betty – 5 th Grade Garage Sale
 The sale will be on Saturday, 6/16
 Working on the sign-up forms
Ann – End of Year Parkwood Party

 6/15 from 5-7 pm
 Potluck, entertainment, crafts, music, write cards to Parkwood
 A picture of everyone in attendance will be taken
 3 rd , 4 th , 5 th , and 6 th graders are making posters for the event
 Staff planners are Debbie Black, Amanda Findley, and Ann
 More people are needed to help plan the event
 Next meeting is on 3/26 at 3:00 pm
 Volunteers needed for specific tasks at event
Nominating Committee Review
 No updates
 Still need Treasurer, Enrichment Coordinator, and Communications Coordinator
Enrichment
 Will have update soon for spring enrichment classes
 Working with Six Crickets
Safety Bins
 Safety bin committee will help out at the beginning of April to put all new items in the
classroom safety bins
Ann – State of School
 North City – lots of questions need to be answered: What is traffic flow pattern? Who
gets what classroom? What needs to be retrofitted? There will be more classroom
space, projectors in the classrooms, and new carpet
 New second grade teacher will replace Mrs. Bidwell
 Rhetta is retiring so there is an opening for a new librarian
 David Drummond joins staff as paraeducator
 6/8 – Watchdogs will come in that day to help pack up classrooms

Round Table:
Stephanie – We are one PTA membership away from a gold membership
Kari – We should change our name on Amazon Smile because it is too hard to find Parkwood
Elementary. 3/14 is the school walk-out for gun control. As a PTA we can take a stand on an
issue. Students are only allowed to participate in walk-out if a parent signs them out. 3/25 –
March for our Lives. Some Shoreline families are participating.

Adjourned – 8:43 pm

Posted in Meetings | Comments Off on March PTA minutes 2018

Treasurer position

Job responsibilites: Treasurer

  • Maintains permanent records to track unit funds and financial transactions
  • Chairs budget committee and prepares annual budget for adoption by the association
  • Pays all PTA bills as authorized by board or association
  • Prepares reports for every board and association meeting and an annual financial report
  • Ensures taxes and reports required by PTA bylaws, insurance or federal and state governments are completed and submitted by the due dates

This is a year round position.  As well as taking care of each of the responsibilities listed above, it is most beneficial if the Treasurer can be at all monthly PTA meetings, every community event that includes collecting of money, and available at least once a week to pick up money from the PTA lock box in the school office and deposit it at the bank.

Posted in Volunteer | Leave a comment

Enrichment Chair position

Job Responsibilities: Enrichment

Role:  There are three roles with after school Enrichment.  One person can do them all or they can be split among a couple or three adults.

General responsibilities:

The first role is Vendor Liaison.  This person:

  • Communicates with vendors to get classes set and scheduled.
  • Sends out contracts to vendors  
  • Makes registration and description forms, copies and distributes to teachers

Timeline   

August Schedule Fall classes with vendors, email contracts, make forms
September Distribute forms by third day of classes
October
November Schedule Winter classes
December Email contracts, make forms
January Distribute forms by first week of class
February Schedule Spring classes
March Email contracts, make forms, distribute forms
April
May
June

 

The second role is Enrichment Registrar.  This role can be filled in two ways.  Currently we have 6crickets set up as an outside vendor who manages all of our registration.  A PTA member still needs to supervise the scholarship program.

If we are not using them then someone needs to:

  • Collect forms and enter all names into spreadsheets
  • Communicate with Kendra about scholarships
  • Email families that have questions on their forms
  • Follow up with families that haven’t paid
  • Makes sure there is an adult volunteer for every paid class
  • Distribute rosters to vendors and adult volunteers
  • Follows up with Participation to adjust rosters during first couple weeks of class
  • Mail checks to vendors

Timeline

August
September Collect forms, enter data, follow up with families and Kendra
October Email rosters
November Mail checks to vendors
December
January Collect forms, enter data, follow up with families and Kendra
February Email rosters, mail checks to vendors
March Collect forms, enter data, follow up with families and Kendra
April Email rosters
May Mail checks to vendors
June

The third role is Enrichment Participation.  This person:

  • Is on site at school every day by 3pm when there is an after school class(es)
  • Stays until end of class if adult volunteer is not there
  • Calls families if vendor cancels or no shows
  • Tracks kids who are extra or no show and communicates with Registrar
  • Gives feedback on teachers and adult volunteers to Vendor Liaison

Timeline   

August
September
October Be at classes
November Be at classes
December Be at classes
January
February Be at classes
March Be at classes
April Be at classes
May Be at classes
June Be at classes

 

Posted in Volunteer | Leave a comment

Membership Chair position

Job Responsibilities: Membership

Role:  The Membership role accesses PT Avenue and enters all member info each month.  Also, Membership advertises the PTA and the benefits of joining.

General responsibilities:

  • Create PTA flyer
  • Order PTA envelopes (via district print center- tae.lee@shorelineschools.org )
  • Distribute copies of both flyer and envelope for the Back to School packets
  • Optional: write letter to local businesses and school board members inviting their membership in our PTA
  • Manage details of scholarship requests
  • Help with membership part of Fall Fundraiser
  • Enter individual membership info into PT Ave throughout the year
  • Possible membership drive? (**Need to come up with an equity plan in order to do this!**)
  • Assist the after school Enrichment Coordinator by checking parent volunteer names against membership roster
  • Assist the Treasurer by providing updated membership numbers as requested (to verify monthly invoices from WA PTA)
  • Respond to emails from WA PTA re: details of Parkwood membership. Include PTA President as needed.
  • As needed, respond to requests from office staff to answer parent questions about Parkwood PTA and membership details
  • End of Year PT Ave- close out Parkwood account for the year (before end of June)

Timeline:   

August Order envelopes, create flyer, make copies of both, and help with Back to School packets
September Enter member info into PT Ave, help with Fall Fundraiser, send additional letters to school board and businesses, track scholarships
October- December Enter member info into PT Ave
January Enter member info into PT Ave, Membership drive??
February-May Enter member info into PT Ave
June Enter member info into PT Ave, EOY on PT Ave

Recommended:  Let the PTA President know if you need help!!

 

Posted in Volunteer | Leave a comment