Job Responsibilities: Parkwood PTA Communications
Role: This is a year round position in charge of the Parkwood PTA’s e-communications.
Parkwood communications tools:
- Email – managed by the PTA’s Communications volunteer (see responsibilities below)
- Facebook and Twitter – will be managed by another person.
- Website – is managed by various other people.
- Print pieces – we have had printed communications pieces in the past, but haven’t had them for a while; this could be picked up again as needed.
- School Bulletin board – managed by various people.
- School A-frames – don’t forget this tool. Can be utilized by anyone wanting to communicate to the parents who are dropping off and picking up. Typically displayed at either side of the school entrances.
- School back-pack mail – managed by anyone who has something to communicate.
General responsibilities for PTA e-communications volunteer:
- Work with classroom communities chair to put together school email list and gather/update this list at events at the beginning of the school year: Back to school BBQ; Tea and Tissue; Curriculum Night. Tool: shared file on dropbox folder [https://www.dropbox.com/home/Communications/Phone%20Directory]
- Update master list as needed throughout the year and in collaboration with classroom communities chair.
- From this list, manage email list and -especially at the beginning of the year- frequently upload new list on Vertical Response (our PTA e-service Provider)
- Monitor bounced and unsubscribed emails in Vertical Response and update school email list after each email sent out.
- Throughout the school year, this position will be in contact with most of the other PTA positions to gather news and info to be communicated to Parkwood families.
- Create e-blasts to go to the PTA email list as needed.
- At beginning of school year, we send out weekly eblasts, typically on Sunday night, with news for the next week.
- During our ‘Invest In Parkwood Campaign’ at the beginning of the school year, a big part of the e-communications is the fundraising message! This typically has been done by the communications person, but could be separated out to a different person, who would have to work closely with the PTA communications person.
- Communicate time sensitive and important info to PTA President for once a month news email that goes out to all school families (through the school email list). This is new for 2017-18.
- August/September/October: Weekly e-blasts (during Fall Fundraising Campaign (Invest In Parkwood Campaign) emails might be sent out daily, or every other day.)
- November-June: E-blasts as needed; could be weekly or monthly; could be event specific.
NOTE: It is highly recommended that this position attends the monthly PTA meetings, as these meetings are where information, relevant to communications, is exchanged.
- Expertise with Excel is needed.
- Knowledge of working with e-service providesr (Vertical Response) is desirable, but can be learned easily.
- Computer access a must.
- Writing/communications skills preferable.